Language

Part 1:

I found this experiment extremely difficult because I could not actually elaborate on topics as a conversation usually does, I could only communicate simple things such as the weather or how I was feeling.

My partner could understand most of what I was trying to communicate only because I knew I wouldn't be able to communicate anything too complex so after trying to have a real conversation, I only tried to communicate simple sentences.

I think the culture that does not speak has the  advantage of communicating complex ideas because the speaking culture has the advantage of understanding complex ideas only because the speaking culture easily communicates extremely complex ideas through a complex method of communication: language. The speaking culture may have an arrogant attitude towards the culture that does not speak because they are not used to people not using language, they may belittle the non-speaking culture due to their impatience towards them. The mentally impaired have trouble learning to communicate through language; the people who do speak sometimes are rude or impatient towards them because they don't see the point in taking the time to try and understand them.

Part 2:

Surprisingly, I was not able to last through the 15 minutes of using only speech as communication. It was difficult because I am a very dramatic person who uses her hands and extreme facial expressions to get a point across (I'm actually known amongst my friends as a great story-teller)

My partner laughed at me a lot, but did not have any patience because I could barely keep from moving my hands. It was hard for her to keep an interest in my conversation because I looked like I wasn't interested in it.

Non-speech language is very important! Facial expressions can communicate so much more than what the person is saying; it can tell us how we feel about what we are saying, how interested we are in conversing, etc.

Learning to ready body-language is important because there is so much you can tell from it. You can tell if someone's interested in you, if someone is implying they are irritated with you, or many other things. Sometime what people are actually saying isn't really what they mean to communicate. Environmental conditions where it might be a benefit to not read body language may be if a person senses they are in danger but does not want to make it obvious they are aware of this so they would rather have their body language not be read.

Part 3:

My experiment would have been a whole lot better if I could have used written language because then I would have been able to use both my body language and the words I wanted to communicate. It simply would have been me putting the words I was going to say on paper while still stressing other things through body language after the person read what I wrote.

Written language provides an advantage of multiple ways of communication for the culture that uses it, e.g. e-mail and mail.

Written language has had a great impact on the spread of ideas among the world due to the ability to easily communicate many ideas on paper and spread news easily by making it official on paper rather than relying on simply word of mouth.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed you had to change your approach in the first part and communicate only in "simple sentences". I would have liked to have heard about the difficulties that caused you to do this, as this was part of the point of the assignment!

    I'm a little surprised that you would consider it easier to communicate complex ideas if you were in a non-speaking culture given that you had to adjust your approach and only speak in simple sentences. Could you communicate ideas like "ethnocentrism" or even Einstein's theory of relativity without speech?

    Great job on the second and third parts.

    ReplyDelete